Thursday, December 11, 2008

Magical Honey Cake

Being a creature of habit and also of tradition, this time of year I typically bake some small thing to give to neighbors and friends. It has varied from year to year, but usually ends up being the types of goodies like cookies or breads you might expect. Quick breads taste good but also are popular gifts for a reason. They’re easy and relatively inexpensive, having not too many ingredients and perhaps more importantly, given that it’s a busy time of year, they’re quick.
Since I am not gainfully employed, you’d think I have all the time in the world to explore the world of exotic cooking gifts but not the case. The holidays fill up for me as they do for everyone, with all the normal routines plus special holiday events. So even though I have good intentions for making really special goodies to gift people with, I usually run out of time and then fall back on tried and true. The last few years I have given out mini loaves of Wine Cakes. This is a recipe attributed to Nancy Reagan when she was wife of the Governor of California. Somehow I can’t picture her puttering around the kitchen baking, her of the size 0, but who am I to say she didn’t?
Wine cakes sound more interesting than pumpkin bread, but in fact are easy and quick so an easy fallback recipe. Then last month I spotted a recipe in the LA times for Magical Honey Cake. Don’t you just love the name? I do and so this holiday I am inflicting an untested recipe on my unknowing recipients. Basically, I am trying it because of the name and because once in a while you have to stretch your culinary muscles, even just a little. The "maturing" process in this recipe is a new one for me but I'm willing to see where it goes.

I’m hoping I will love it and the beneficiaries will too.

Magical Honey Cake
Total time: 1 hour, 15 minutes, plus 7 days maturing time for the loaves

Servings: Makes 3 loaf cakes, or 6 mini loafs
Note: The cakes should mature for seven days before serving. Try this recipe with
any of a variety of honeys; the flavor notes of the honey come through nicely as the
cakes mature, making this recipe well-suited for more robust and unique honeys such
as chestnut and acacia. If you don't like the taste of coffee in your honey cake, replace
it with 1 cup of strong dark tea.

6 cups plus 3 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 heaping teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 cups honey
1 cup canola or olive oil
4 eggs
1 cup strong coffee
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup raisins
2 cups chopped walnuts

1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine the flour, sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add the honey, oil and eggs and beat
into a smooth batter with a whisk or mixer.
3. Stir the baking soda and then the coffee into the batter. Gently fold in the raisins and walnuts.
4. Pour the batter into three (9-inch by 5-inch) glass loaf pans and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the tops of the cakes are risen and golden, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Place the loaf pans on a rack to cool slightly; remove the loaves to cool completely. Tightly wrap the loaves with foil and place in a cool, dry place (not the refrigerator) to mature for 7 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment