Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Corn Pudding

Christmas is behind me for the year so I am reflecting on the BIG change I made to my routine. On Christmas Eve, as is our tradition, we go to Steve’s mother’s house for the annual holiday get-together and dinner. Steve is the oldest of five, with four of them being guys and one girl. Only one of the brothers has children, or more significantly, grandchildren. We have gone most years since we have been married so it is as predictable as I imagine other people’s family gatherings are. The children are observed as getting older each year, as is their grandma. The Christmas tree changed from a real one to an artificial one a few years ago, and no one really objected, understanding the practicality of the fake version. Gifts are opened with great ceremony and exclaimed over. We used to gift everyone but as we all got older, including the kids, that practice fell by the wayside. At some point the decision was made to draw names and set a cost limitation. That has held down what was once a very lengthy gift-opening process. The dollar amount limit changes from year to year but also seems to stay manageable for the most part and in these economically uncertain times, that’s definitely desirable, if not necessary.

As we all know, celebrations are invariably based around special food and this is no different and adding the weight of Christmas gives it a particular flavor. For us, it varies between the familiar and traditional, the newer and the more “special” and only some of the food changes from year to year,


Meats like roast pork and ham have been the center attraction in years past as tastes and whims have dictated but it was turkey this year by popular demand. But some things are engraved in the proverbial “stone”. Grandma always prepares a traditional old world recipe of Dalmatian origin, a sauerkraut dish which includes tomato sauce and sausage, among other things. The adult kids have fond memories of, and expect good old American Jell-O salad which varies in style and color from year to year. We daughters-in law bring our own contribution to the feast and that too has evolved into its own custom, with some bringing versions of a favorite salad or a special dessert. This year was an exception as I brought a dessert. I typically take corn pudding.

I didn’t always take corn pudding. As a vegetarian I have a lot of really good vegetable recipes that make fabulous side dishes for a special meal, if I do say so myself. Braised artichokes, roasted root vegetable or tomato and fennel gratins and roasted cauliflower are some of my, and Steve’s, favorites.

I know ways to be adventurous with vegetables. In restaurants I invariably will try a new vegetable dish that catches my eye. In a recent visit to a new restaurant serving small plates, I sampled their roasted Brussels sprouts gratinee, which was delicious! Maybe not something I would make at home, but terrific to try out.

And as I get older, I enjoy some of the cooking process, some of the time. That is, I like the idea of cooking, exploring a new recipe, using fresh colorful seasonal vegetables and of course I love the anticipation of enjoyment, both mine and my guests’. So when I do any cooking other than the day to day, I want to be excited about it.

Suffice it to say that over the years I have tried various vegetable side dishes at the family events. It is accepted that as a vegetarian I am assumed to be something of an expert at the vegetable thing. That does not mean, however that anyone else is actually interested in vegetarian cuisine. Over the years my attempts to introduce dishes with obvious vegetables have met with everything from lukewarm success to downright rejection. How do you recognize rejection? That’s easy; at the end of the meal the serving platter is full of it. And while I could comfort myself with the thought that the leftovers were there to take home and enjoy the next day, it’s still uncomfortable since the idea of bringing a dish to share is that it must be shared. Otherwise no matter how much I try to blame their uninterested palates, basically it’s my failure.

I am very aware some recipes remain customary for the holidays. The seemingly beloved and venerable green bean casseroles, the ubiquitous pumpkin pie, the tarted-up marshmallow sweet potatoes typical of holidays have continued for reasons which elude me but seem to be obvious to everyone else. My rationale is that perhaps it’s because no one really objects to them, or it’s easier because they’re routine, as much as anything. Whatever, it doesn’t leave much room for creativity.


Which brings me back to the corn pudding dilemma At a company party some years ago the caterers served this dish, this corn pudding which I, and seemingly everyone else, really liked. Not realizing what I was getting myself into, I brought a bit of it home to Steve. Instant success! He loved it. So, I asked for and obtained their recipe. As it is meant as a side dish and the recipe serves 10, it was a while before I had a chance to try it. The first opportunity was the family Christmas. It is any easy recipe to follow and during busy holidays that was a plus. And, it was a hit with everyone. I was gratified since it was a then a new recipe to me and to them.. The following year at the holiday I brought a new and different vegetable side dish, a lovely and in my opinion, delicious butternut squash and caramelized onion tart. I became aware of the monster I had created when not only was the tart largely ignored, but several family members mentioned the corn pudding from the prior year. That impression was firmed up the following June when my brother in law had a birthday celebration and in response to my question, “what can I bring?” answered “your corn pudding”. Since then the corn pudding has been requested at most of the family gatherings. Seeing a pattern after the first time or two I have balked, yielding only for the holiday, where it became as much of a staple as, oh, green bean casserole.

On the plus side of this whole saga I do know that whenever I go to a potluck or any other type of gathering that needs a covered dish, the corn pudding is always a crowd pleaser. The other side of that is I am usually asked for the recipe by someone because, as with family, most everyone likes this dish. Still after disclaiming it, not wanting it to be known as my signature dish, I typically give it out. Because giving people food they enjoy really is not such a bad thing.

Sweet Yellow Corn Pudding

2 16 oz pkgs frozen corn thawed
1 16 oz can creamed corn
10 tablespoons butter melted
5 large eggs
¼ cup sugar
¾ cup flour
2 tsps baking powder
salt and freshly ground pepper

1) preheat oven to 350 degrees
2) combine the corn, butter, eggs, flour and baking powder in a large bowl.
Season with salt and pepper and mix well. Pour into a 9 X 13 buttered glass dish
and bake 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Note: you can add flavor/color with 1 cup finely diced red bell pepper and/or canned roasted Ortega green chilies if desired.
Serves 10

1 comment:

  1. hi annie, i read your "begone stress" piece in the times...and thought...aAhaaaaah...someone is actually saying its ok to be doing nothing. that has been wierd for me, since i am retired and can do anything or nothing as the notion strikes me...but it does feel strange and i know some people actually resent my leisures...but i do feel ive earned my priviledges and try to take full advantage.
    it was just so refreshing to read something in the paper that actually spoke to me and my concerns.
    something about it made me search for your blog...ive never blogged before or been interested and barely know what it is...but this is where i found a place to thank you for your breath of fresh air reflecting on discovery and the meaning of life...is there life after retirement?
    a friend of mines mother told her...that life for her got better after 60...and better and better. she really began to enjoy life...it took her all that time to really get the hang of it...i guess thats what wisdom is...ive been wondering when thats going to happen. im 67 and can do what ever i want (within reason) fortunately i know how to entertain myself quite well. i have a horse and a mule and i like to ride in the mountains, go camping, birding, picture taking, and see whats going on...and i feel kind of guilty for just wandering around having a good time. like im not socially responsible unless im for (or against) some cause, or making money...
    if you could do anything you wanted to do...what would it be? lots of people don't even know, but i think often to my self, when im out riding my mule and watching the sunset...boy howdy! theres no place id rather be than right here. im so lucky. but i did do my part to get there...on the mule...on top of a mountain...watching the sunset over the san fernando valley spreading out below...as far as the eye could see...
    what i think a lot of women dont know how to do is...have honest fun. not getting drunk and being nasty fun...but pleasant fun.
    ive gone on pleasant horseback rides with people who want to talk trash about other people or politics or talk on their cell phone...or their internal medical problems and the pills they are taking...i told one woman...look can't we just look at the flowers when they look so good? to her credit, she acknowledged the concept...but soon took up where she left off.
    when you go out to have a nice time...why take your garbage with you? why create garbage and expect cake? why hang out in bars drunk and expect to find a good mate?
    im old fashioned and feel dis connected from a lot of the thinking or Not-Thinking that i see around me.
    people stress them own selves out, making stupid decisions...because they don't know how to think...they don't know how to make good decisions...to get themselves to where they say they want to go...like be at peace with themselves and the world...in some sort of harmony.
    i think thats something of what i got about reading your article...if that makes any sense.
    i kind of enjoy tracking down your blog site...it wasn't a straightforward path for me...not knowing where i was going or what i expected to find when i got there. but thats what i like to do on my mule...go ride somewhere i don't know where im going and see whats out there.
    so, you probably think im nuts by now, but thats what came up for me...and i thought i would share my thoughts and see what happens.
    your corn dish sound fabulous. im going to try it

    ReplyDelete