Thursday, November 13, 2008

Morning Muffins

Like many mothers do, I suppose, I have certain and sometimes fond, memories of my kids’ growing up years. What I have discovered, as they have gotten older, moved away and formed their own households and lives, is that my memories don’t always correspond with theirs.
Over the years I have concluded that this could actually be a good thing. Some parts of life are not worth remembering, or are in fact, better off forgotten.
Still I persist in a mom-like way, in seeing much of that time through the warm glow of remembrance. Hey if it was good enough for Proust, it can work for me too.
Take morning muffins, for example. I used to make these for my two when they were adolescents. The way I remember it, they were always running late for school or something, or were otherwise too busy or distracted to eat breakfast. Since we all know and agree that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, I hit upon a method to provide a healthy and quick option for their busy lives. Morning muffins were actually from a recipe I found on a bran flakes package. Along with the healthy fiber already in the cereal, the recipe added other stuff that made them an even more well-rounded meal, and taste good besides. They could be prepared ahead and frozen in quantities. And, they were portable, so could be taken and eaten on the run.
In my head, a vision persists of me casually tossing a wax-paper wrapped morning muffin to each kid as he and she rushed out the door; I of course basking in the glow of my good mothering. They of course, have no such memory. It’s not that they deny that it happened, they just don’t remember it. So much for giving your kids warm childhood memories.
I know it did happen because I still have the original recipe, somewhat grease-spattered from use. Steve says at some future time when the kids visit I should bake some and have them available, in effect re-creating the experience. I haven’t done it so far, not wanting to test those memories further. Still, it’s a good healthy recipe, and some day I may just make them for myself. I too have a busy life, after all.

Morning Muffins
Makes: 12
Ingredients
1-1/2 cups flour
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg
1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
2 Tbsp. oil
3 cups Bran Flakes
1/3 cup raisins or currants,
(finely chopped dates, or other similar dried fruit also works well)
½ cup chopped walnuts
MIX flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in large bowl. Beat egg in small bowl; stir in milk and oil. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. (Batter will be lumpy.) Stir in cereal, nuts and raisins. Spoon batter into muffin pan which has been sprayed with cooking spray, filling each cup 2/3 full.
BAKE at 400°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned.

1 comment:

  1. I remember the raisin bran muffins -- they were actually quite good considering they were good for us. I even told Nicole about them when we were wrestling with a similar dilemna -- how to get her to class in high school on time without sacrificing breakfast. We settled on the homemmade egg-and-cheese muffin, but the concept was basically the same -- something warm to take along that reminded that you were loved.

    ReplyDelete