Monday, November 10, 2008

I dream of food. More correctly stated, I dream of food situations. Does everyone do this? I am in a strange city, traveling with husband Steve, my daughter Bonnie and unknown others. It is morning and as is my natural habit, I am up before they are. As with most peoples’ dreams, this is not clearly stated, it just seems to be. I get up and head out into the day, looking for good coffee and good rolls, by my definition.
The place I am in seems to be more of a city – with tall buildings and warehouses- than a place that would have food areas. Although I do know that food is sometimes contained in places that seem unlikely unless you’re familiar; since I am not familiar that knowledge does not help. I drive around and notice a place that looks like a combination of night club and greasy spoon with a parking lot that has cars and others coming in. I assume it must be the local’s morning spot. I go into the place which has a long dark paneled entry hall and looking beyond I can see an area with booth and tables where people are eating. But all I want is coffee! I quickly figure out, or assume that the type of coffee I want is not going to be available here so spin around and after telling a waitress I am not staying, start to leave. The momentary distraction throws me off and I have to exit by a different way that I came in, taking me by a cashier and a bakery case. I have a momentary wave of hopefulness; perhaps it’s one of those hidden gems, a tacky restaurant that has a few specialties of fabulous baked goods! No such luck, I see tired looking Danish pastries that appear to have come out of grocery store packaging, and some dry looking cookies is all. Oh well. Again I head out.
By this time I am willing to settle for the average known, Starbucks, but that is available only if you are familiar with the territory. Still, I get into my rental car and start to drive, trying to estimate how long I can be gone before I am missed, and the others get hungry.There is a call on my mobile; “mom where are you? Bonnie asks. Well you should ask, I reply. I have no idea”. I continue back, hoping to come upon something, someplace on the way.
Where are the places with light and fluffy brioche, with interesting braided breakfast breads laced with currants and walnuts, I wonder. Someplace I could get a good strong flavorful cup of coffee?
That would be in another dream, apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment